The Buena Vista City School Board is responsible for the selection, evaluation, approval, and use of instructional materials. The superintendent or his/her designee will periodically review guidelines and procedures for the selection of instructional materials and bring recommendations for changes to the Board.
The procedures for selection and evaluation of instructional materials shall offer a thorough and efficient approach which ensures that appropriate instructional materials are selected, and provide an opportunity for the professional staff and community to participate and be informed on the selection and use of instructional materials. The procedures will include
· local criteria for selection of instructional materials
· evaluation of materials in relation to with instructional goals and objectives
· an evaluation committee which should include, when appropriate, parents, students, teachers, supervisors, and non-parent patrons
· opportunity for the examination of materials by appropriate committees and individuals
· notice to parents that materials under consideration for approval will be available at designated locations for review by any interested citizens. Provisions should be made for those reviewing such materials to present their comments and observations, if any, to the school board
· procedures for the reconsideration of challenged materials and
· special emphasis on the thorough evaluation of materials related to controversial or sensitive topics such as Family Life Education
Adopted: 11/24/03; 06/26/08
Legal Ref.: Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, sections 22.1-238, 22.1-239, 22.1-240.
8 VAC 20-170-10.
8 VAC 20-220-10 et seq.
8 VAC 20-230-10 et seq.
Cross Ref.: IIAA Textbook Adoption and Selection
IIAB Supplementary Materials Selection and Adoption
IGAH Family Life Education
© 5/08 VSBA